At one time, what is known as Griffin’s Chapel Church of the Nazarene was part of Moore’s Chapel Methodist Church. During that time an Evangelist from Nashville, Rev. J. O. McClurkan, came to the Yellow Creek Community and held revivals teaching Holiness. Several members of Moore’s Chapel Methodist Church attended these services and dedicated their lives to God to live and teach Holiness. However, the by-laws and regulations governing the doctrine of the Methodist organization neither supported nor accepted the teaching of sanctification as a second work of grace.
A group of the membership of Moore’s Chapel came together to form a group where Holiness could be taught and practiced. Mr. W.H. (Billy) Griffin, father of Lizzie Parchman, and Mr. Johnnie Adams, father of Mrs. Verl Rye, Mrs. Geneva Rye, Mrs. Betty Parchman, and Mrs. Florence Moore, became their leaders. The group had their names dropped from the Methodist role and formed a Holiness sect and worshiped independently.
At the beginning, they met in homes and at the Cedar Hill School building. Rev. Lewis Roby led the services while a building was being built on a parcel of land on Grice’s Creek Road, donated by Mr. Billy Griffin. This place of worship became known as “The Pentecostal Mission”. However, that soon changed to Griffin’s Chapel, named after its leader and land donor, Mr. Billy Griffin. The original minutes of the church records the forming of this congregation Sept. 2, 1906. In November 1911, a positive vote allowed the merger of the Pentecostal Mission with the Pentecostal Church of the Nazarene, but due to some disagreements on doctrine in the years of 1919-1921, Griffin’s Chapel pulled away from the Pentecostal Nazarene Movement and again operated as an independent Holiness band. In 1925, Griffin’s Chapel rejoined the Church of the Nazarene organization (the word Pentecostal had been dropped from the organization at the 1919 General Assembly).